Skip to main content

Grieving In Real Life


My Mom started exhibiting dementia behaviors six years before she died. The doctor said it was cortico-basal deterioration. Since no one in my family had ever had dementia before, we all quickly Googled the disease and absorbed everything WebMD had to say about it. In the end, all I needed to know was that I would lose her twice – first her personality was taken leaving someone I didn’t recognize, and then her body forgot how to function and she passed away.

I was 52 when she died, a month before my birthday and a week before Mother’s Day. I’m beyond thankful that my Mom got to be at my wedding, see the birth of my children, and watch them grow. I’m constantly thinking back to the great advice she gave me on life, but I still miss her terribly. She lives on in the wonderful memories she helped to create – joyful holidays with family and good meals, shopping outings, exchanging recipes!

On the Psychology Today website, Dr. David Sack talks about how losing your parent hurts, irrespective of your age. He writes that his father’s death was like “my anchor to my identity” had been severed. Like Dr. Sack, I too felt lost at sea because the person who had known me the longest – nine months before anyone else – was gone. I lived in a fog for about a year – the house didn’t get cleaned, dinners didn’t get made.

In her blog Grief and Sympathy, Elizabeth Postle says losing a parent is a natural progression of life, but it wasn’t supposed to happen this way. My Mother’s parents lived into their 90’s, but Mom was dead at 78.  Why didn’t I get to have the extra 20 years with her that I expected?

Fortunately, because I work part-time and at home, I was able to work through all of my grief without the pressure of moving forward before I was ready. In doing so, I learned there’s just no way around it in order to move forward, you’ve got to walk head on into the turmoil and pain of grieving.
I went through all the stages of grief that psychologists talk about – disbelief, anger, and deep, deep sadness. Whether anyone liked it or not, when they asked “How are you?” I told them my mother had died. Friends? Yes. Total strangers? Yep. Unconsciously, I decide I would tell everyone and get help from anyone who could offer support.

For a while, I saw a counselor, Jeff, and once I told him, “I just want to curl up in my closet and close the door for a while.” Surprisingly, he suggested I try it! After telling husband and kids the plan, I carved out a little part of my closet, sat down and closed the door. It was so peaceful, that I took to my closet hideaway quite often, allowing myself to “feel my feelings” as Jeff would say.

Laurie Pawlik-Kienlen, author of “How to Let Go of Someone You Love” writes “the secret to letting go is to do it every single day – or several times a day if your grief is fresh.”

To say my Mom’s death was life changing for me is an understatement. My “normal” life would never be the same.

At the one-year mark, when remembering my Mother’s death, I could hear her voice, telling me to push forward. I was encouraged as if from a silent cheerleader to start pushing forward.

So, I decided to push beyond my fears and indecision and jump into life. Whereas before, I was afraid to ever get out of my comfort zone, I’ve been doing things I had only dreamed of before. Recently I entered a writing contest for a creative essay that I wrote. I’ve gone to writing workshops where a bunch of people critique my work – in front of me! And guess what? I not only survived these experiences, but I grew from them.

I will always carry the grief of my mother’s death with me. I can’t help it. But, I’m moving forward, and hope you can find the courage and strength to move forward too.

Written by Allison Robenstein

Popular posts from this blog

Town of Monument Board of Trustees - September 2019

Town of Monument Board of Trustees - September 2019 Monument Board of Trustees, Aug. 19:  "Clean" 2018 audit accepted with board questions By Allison Robenstein The Monument Board of Trustees (BOT) narrowly authorized Finance Director Bill Wengert to submit the annual audit during the Aug. 19 meeting by a vote of 4-3. The board also approved more money for emergency stormwater infrastructure and road repairs due to a deteriorating stormwater system, discussed the process of hiring a staff attorney, and heard a presentation by Dr. Kenneth C. "K.C." Somers, the new superintendent of the Lewis-Palmer School District. 2018 audit recognized with divided vote First, Wengert told the board June 2019 revenues are trending 13% higher than expected due to increased sales tax income. Normally, Treasurer Pamela Smith would present the financials, but she was put on paid administrative leave at the March 4 meeting pending the outcome of an ongoing criminal investigation b

Will Bowan Byram make it in the pros?

Colorado Av’s fans are wondering if 6’1” and 195 pound Bowan Byram will take the one open defensive spot being offered by Colorado for the 2019-2020 season. The 4 th overall pick in the 2019 NHL draft played for the Vancouver Giants in the Western Hockey League from 2016-2019. Last year alone, he scored 71 points in only 67 games. “Elite Prospects” said he is best when playing high energy up-tempo hockey, not always something the AVs have been good at, tending to control the game at a slower pace. Many worry Byram’s small stature (in NHL terms) may cause him to be less effective at checks at the net and controlling the game along the boards. BSN Denver’s AJ Haefele says Byram will likely get his nine-game trial, but will he be able to make it in the NHL in his first year? On Day Three of training camp, Byram was on Team White with Calle Rosen, a trade from Toronto late this year for among others, my favorite player Alexander Kerfoot. A defenseman who is capable of scorin

Five Reasons to Eat in Downtown Monument, Colorado

Five Reasons To Eat In Downtown Monument 1. Your BFF cooks from scratch In fact, m o st of the downtown Monument restaurants cook from scratch recipes. Black Forest Foods  Cafe, Market and Delicatessen is a family run business, as are most of Monument's wonderful eating, drinking establishments. BFF’s food is scratch made. They have seating for dining in to eat their amazing burgers, like the Irish Porter burger with grilled pancetta and Irish port cheese.  Figure 1: BFF's homemade hamburger - Best in Monument! They also offer fresh-made sandwiches and soups to enjoy there or to go. Last week, I had the cheesiest, most ooey-gooey grilled cheese! They’re open 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Saturday.  Figure 2: Papa Bear Pizza's Durango featuring garlic and fennel sausage! After 4 p.m., head over to Papa Bear Pizza where all the dough is made fresh daily! All their pies are named for Colorado locations and people, like the Durango – fresh dough